Ever wonder how to make your own apple cider from apples you have picked? Well this quick 1 minute video gives you the quick run-down, but if you want more detailed instructions keep reading…
List of supplies:
- Apples (lots of them)
- Something to pulverize the apples with (I used my vitamix but you could also buy this grinder)
- Apple Press or make your own, directions below
- Spices: Cinnamon Sticks, Vanilla & Cloves
Now the process:
- Get apples… Do I need to explain?
- Wash Apples (you do not need to be perfect in washing them, but that depends on what your level of “grossness” is)
- Cut apples, if necessary (we use small apples)
- Pulverize apples. We use small apples, so we just can just throw a whole pile of them in the vitamix and pulse it a couple times. However, please be careful on how hot your vitamix will get. I accidentally overheated mine, it doesn’t kill it, but it will put you back about 30 minutes until it cools down.
- Set up your press: make sure it has a tray as the apple cider is extracted and can flow into a pot or something that easily can catch the apple cider.
- Put apples through the press. If you buy the Tabletop Fruit Press 1.25 Gallon it’ll be pretty self explanatory instructions. You can go cheap if you make your own press, but you need to have access to a hydraulic press or find a way to press the apples extremely hard.
- Make your own press: Get a clean five gallon bucket and drill small holes all over the bucket.
- Put as many extra long twist ties in between each row of holes.
- Put a pan underneath the bucket to direct apple cider flow to your pot.
- Put a paint strainer in the bucket so that the apples do not plug up the holes.
- Put bucket in the press. We cut a circle shaped board that covers the apples so we can easily press the apples. Add wood blocks into press as it gets more compressed.
- Catch the apple cider! Drink right from the flow!
- You can either keep your cider plain or spice it up! (if you are worried about e coli or other diseases boil cider at 185 degrees. We have never had issues with sickness and it kills lots of good nutrients and bacteria so we personally do not do it, but you make that decision).
- If you spice your cider, put it on the stove and bring it up to a hot temperature. Place cinnamon sticks, vanilla extract and cloves in (do is based on how much you like each spice).
- Let it simmer for about an hour so that the flavors get fully incorporated. Stain out the spices and then drink warm or cool.
- Poor cider into jars and keep in refrigerator, can the apple cider or take gallon sized freezer bags and poor it in there and freeze them (that’s what we do).
- Enjoy all your hard work!
Natural cider has plenty of sediment in it, so make sure to leave the bottom of the cider after it is chilled.